Believe it or not, I had never heard of coconut oil until 2010.
Since I bought my first jar four years ago, it has become an ingredient I wouldn’t want to live without. I love coconut oil because it’s so versatile – not only do I use it in the kitchen, but it’s a regular part of my personal care.
Coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal, thanks to lauric acid. With these properties, coconut oil helps to prevent parasites and fungi that cause indigestion. (It also may help relieve irritable bowel syndrome.) The fat in coconut oil helps your body absorb amino acids, minerals, and vitamins.
I’ve learned to love coconut oil because:
1. It makes a great, healthy substitute for shortening.
2. I use it to grease my baking pans.
3. It’s great for sautéing veggies.
4. It is a delicious ingredient in homemade energy bars.
5. It is a tasty butter substitute in brownies.
6. It tastes great when popping corn. (Just sprinkle a little sea salt over the freshly popped corn … yum!)
7. It makes delicious coconut oil crepes.
8. I’m attempting oil pulling each morning with a scoop of coconut oil.
9. This summer I’m using coconut oil as a sunscreen and tan enhancer.
10. It’s a main ingredient in all of my favorite lip balms.
11. I use it to moisturize my skin instead of lotion.
12. When my daughter was still in diapers, it was excellent at relieving diaper rashes.
13. It works as a great lubricant.
14. I can remove my eye makeup just by massaging a little coconut oil on my eyelids.
15. I spread a dollop on my children’s skin whenever it’s irritated or they have scrapes. The oil forms a covering that protects the wound from bacteria and dirt.
16. In a pinch, I use it as hair gel.
17. It works great as a pre-shower hair conditioner, too.
18. I use it as a carrier for essential oils.
How do you use coconut oil?
Since I shared my love of coconut oil, I am now entered to a win a custom KitchenAid stand mixer! Find out how you can enter too at PartSelect.
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015