I HATE spiders. It doesn’t matter what size they are or how they benefit the environment … they give me the heebie jeebies. Spiders aren’t repelled by chemicals, so forget trying to spray them away. If you’d like to prevent spiders from living in or around your home, here are some natural tips:
- Clean your house! Don’t give spiders a chance to spin their webs anywhere inside (or outside) your home. Regularly clean your home and dust or sweep away any spider webs. Remove clutter, too. (Outside, this includes weeding and trimming shrubs.)
- Take care of your house. Seal any cracks you find outside (or inside) to keep spiders and other bugs from taking up residence.
- Spiders don’t like citrusy essential oils. Add essential orange oil or essential lemon oil to your all-purpose surface cleaner. You can add it to your water when you mop floors, too.
- To make an anti-spider spray, mix two cups distilled water, a couple drops of dish soap and five to fifteen drops of lemon oil. Spray it in corners where you know spiders are usually attracted.
- Make another anti-spider spray by mixing 1 cup distilled water, ½ tablespoon dish soap and six drops of tea tree oil. Spray it in places where spiders are attracted, like doorways and corners.
- For other natural remedies, put chestnuts around the exterior walls of your house, as well as on every windowsill. If chestnuts aren’t effective, try eucalyptus leaves instead.
- If you live in an area where Osage oranges grow (also known as hedge apples, horse apples, or fruit from bois d’arc trees), place them around your home or wherever you’d like to repel spiders. You can also quarter the Osage oranges and put one quarter in each corner of your room.
Do you have any natural suggestions on getting rid of spiders?
The following two tabs change content below.
Hilary Kimes Bernstein is a Christ follower, wife, mama, and journalist. She writes about making healthy decisions that honor God and happen to help the environment at Accidentally Green. Short and sweet - like her writing - Hilary is the author of several healthy living eBooks.
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015
I don’t but I’m going to use some of yours…especially after seeing a tarantula in our front yard last week!
Gc7x Surge Green coffee says
Spot on with this write-up, I really feel this amazing site needs a great deal more attention.
I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the info!
Extreme Gain says
No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, therefore he/she wishes to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.