Ladies, what is one cosmetic you would rather not live without?
For me, it’s eyeliner. I like the way it defines my eyes and wakes up my face. I’ve been afraid, though, to check out how harmful varieties of eyeliner are.
What to avoid
The fantastic news is that only four eyeliners are considered high hazards, according to the Environmental Working Group’s Cosmetics Database:
1. JaDora Cosmetics Pencil Me In Eye Liner includes Retinol/Vitamin A that causes cancer and is toxic to your reproductive system and organs.
2. and 3. Both the eggplant shade of Wet ‘n Wild MegaEyes Crème Eyeliner and the classic black shade of Black Radiance Continuous Crème Eye Liner include seven dangerous ingredients, including propylparaben, butylparaben, lilial, benzyl salicylate, hydroxycitronellal, coumarin, and fragrance. These ingredients are known to disrupt your endocrine system and aggravate allergies. The parabens also are toxic to developmental and reproductive systems and accumulate in breast tumors.
4. The epernay shade of Sue Devitt Eye Illuminator Pencil includes propylparaben – and that accumulates in breast tumors and is toxic to your developmental and reproductive systems.
According to the Cosmetics Database, 166 eyeliners are ranked as low hazards. That’s a lot of safe eyeliner choices! And 357 are moderate hazards.
Fortunately, it’s not difficult to find a safe eyeliner. What is your favorite brand?
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015
I’ve recently used a gel eyeliner by Marc Jacobs that was given to me as a birthday present by Sephora. What do you think of gel or liquid eyeliners? I usually use Loreal Black/Brown infalible eyeliner.
Are these safe to use?