Have you noticed the price of aluminum foil lately? In my community, 75 feet of Reynolds Wrap is on sale this week for $7.99. $7.99! About once a year I replenish my rolls of aluminum foil and wax paper, and twice a year I buy a roll of plastic wrap. Whenever I run out of aluminum foil I’m shocked at the cost – yet I’m reminded that I should use it sparingly.
When I lived very mindlessly and never gave a second thought about my purchases or consumption, I remember buying these products every few months – along with my paper napkins and paper towels.
I’m thankful that I’ve changed my ways; not only am I helping the environment, but I’m also helping my family’s budget.
Reusing and recycling
Since it’s a pricier wrap option, I try to reuse it whenever possible:
- If I use a square of aluminum foil to cover food in the oven, I try to save it and reuse it when covering other meals – especially if saucy food isn’t smeared on. (And even if it is, I use the other side.)
- Once the foil is covered in food or has several rips, I still save it and use it as a scrubber. It’s handy when I’m washing dishes and need to scrub away caked on, baked on food. I also like to use it in my natural oven cleaning routine. I love that it’s durable – and if it gets completely disgusting by charred food remains, I can toss it in the recycling bin.
A healthy perspective
By reducing my use of aluminum foil, I’m also helping my family’s health. I was shocked to read Rethinking Aluminum Foil on GNOWFGLINS last summer and find out that,
“In every situation tested, heated aluminum foil degraded and leached into the food that was cooking. … The hotter the heat, the more leaching that occurs. And it doesn’t matter which side of the foil the food is exposed to.”
I haven’t completely eliminated aluminum foil in my home, but I probably should.
Do you use aluminum foil? If so, do you reuse it? How?
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015