Disclosure: Freshana has sponsored this review. All opinions are completely my own.
Before I turned green, I absolutely loved to use artificial air fresheners in my home.
I never once stopped to think that a home shouldn’t smell like a spring meadow – because it was a home and not a meadow.
Honestly, I liked the fragrance.
Scented laundry detergent, scented fabric softeners, scented cleaning products – I never cared if the scents clashed. (And they did!) I simply thought that clean had a scent. I never thought about the scent being completely fake.
And I never thought about how the fake scents were actually harming my body.
Fake scents are hamful. Commonly called “fragrance” on cleaning and personal care products, “fragrance” typically is made with phthalates. These colorless, odorless liquids help fragrances last longer, they accumulate as a body burden, and are linked to birth defects (especially in males).
These fragrances often create indoor air pollution that’s 2 to 5 times worse than outdoor air pollution.
Switching to fragrance-free cleaners is the easiest way to avoid this pollution and harm. Yet sometimes it’s hard to find an effective, natural cleaner or air freshener.
The Freshana fix
I was glad to learn about Freshana products, created by chemist Dr. Robert Bayless. Bayless discovered that when mixed together, nine key plants (including sugar cane) attack the hydrocarbons found in odors, mold, grime, oil, grease, urine and feces. These nine plants are combined to form organic concentrates that clean – and clean well.
When I tried Freshana, I was a little skeptical. Could ingredients like palm and coconut oil, sugar beets, sugar cane, shea butter and cocoa butter actually clean?
Surprisingly … yes.
- I’ve used the Airia air cleaner and freshener to deodorize bathroom odors – after spraying, any and all stink disappears. But instead of being left with a gag- and headache-inducing fragrances, the air just smells clean.
- The Aviva laundry cleaner has effectively cleaned my laundry – again, not a scent at all, but it has left my laundry clean and soft.
- The Maxam industrial strength heavy-duty cleaner is taking away mold in my shower. (Each summer I deal with mold as a result of warm, humid days.) I spray it on each day and have watched my mold problem disappear right before my eyes (over the course of two weeks).
- Eezzee, Freshana’s all-purpose cleaner, easily cleans up spills and countertops – and it’s also fragrance-free.
I appreciate that however their organic microencapsulation process works, their products are free from all carcinogens, allergens, perfumes, and toxins. And their prices are reasonable.
Try it for yourself
Freshana’s offering Accidentally Green readers 20% off your entire order. Simply add the code green20 at checkout.
Win your own
Freshana’s also giving away MAXAM (industrial strength cleaner and stain remover), EEZZEE (all-purpose cleaner), AIRIA (air purifier), AVIVA (laundry solution), and REVIVER (multi surface cleaner) to one Accidentally Green reader. Enter to win today!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015