Seven summers ago, my life became healthier all because of a tiny baby. I was pregnant with my first child, and as I researched how to take care of a baby, I found that so many of my habits and choices had been unhealthy. They were unhealthy for me, as an adult, and definitely unhealthy for any infant, toddler or child.
I did what any good mom would do – I started making changes:
- I began to green my cleaning.
- I dumped all my favorite (toxic!) personal care products and switched to safer brands.
- I researched if I could and how I might be able to have a drug-free childbirth. (I quickly learned the unpredictability of childbirth, the need to give myself grace, and to make the best of what happened with my first and second childbirths.)
- I took breastfeeding classes.
- I looked into every variety of cloth diaper.
It might have taken nine months, but I finally was prepared for my baby – with a radically different life. The good news was that my changes weren’t painful to make; they were sensible. And once I adjusted my thinking and got used to them, they were completely normal.
Unfortunately, babies are born into a world full of toxins. Parents can protect their young ones from a lot of harm, though. To help you make healthy choices – and to create your own little baby-safe world (even if it’s only in your own home) – check out my past Accidentally Green posts:
- Diapers: Disposable vs. Cloth
- Are Disposable Diapers Safe?
- Different Kinds of Cloth Diapers
- How to Clean Cloth Diapers
- My Family’s Diapering Decisions
- Why I’m a Fan of Cloth Diapering
- Safe and Simple Teething Remedies
- Does Your Infant Suffer from Acid Reflux?
- How to Remedy Infant Reflux
- Beware of Overmedicating Children
- Help! I’m Not Sure If I Should Vaccinate My Baby!
- Vaccines 101
- Debunking vaccine myths
- Alternative vaccine schedules
- Learning about vaccine resources
- Studying the adverse effects of vaccines
- Do you know where vaccines come from?
- How are avian flu and mad cow disease related to vaccines?
- A vaccine truth that’s stranger than fiction
- My family’s vaccine decisions, part 1
- My family’s vaccine decisions, part 2
- Vaccines: What part does religion play?
- Protect Your Baby. Avoid BPA.
- Creating a Healthy and Safe Nursery
- How Are Babies Affected By a Toxic Takeover?
- How I Prepared For Childbirth
- Are Epidurals As Safe As You May Think?
- How to Avoid Becoming a Cesarean Statistic
- Turning to God During Childbirth
- Becoming Your Own Breastfeeding Advocate
- Breastfeeding’s Benefits to Babies
- Breastfeeding’s Benefits to Mothers
- Does Formula Fail Babies?
- Recalling Formula’s Dangers
- How I Unknowingly Gave Oxycodone to My Newborn
- Safe and Simple Ways to Feed Your Infant
- 6 Ways to Raise Healthy Eaters
- How My Family Has Dealt with Food Coloring
- Can a Pregnant Mama Safely Satisfy her Nesting Instinct?
- Will Your Pretty Face Harm Your Unborn Child?
- Natural Remedies for Morning Sickness
- Should We Coin the Phrase “Fetal Cosmetic Syndrome”?
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015